- Fiddler on the Roof at Santa Catalina
- The Chagrins of Love — Ian Bostridge in Recital
- Santa Cruz Symphony Ascendance
- Carmel Music Society opens its new season with pianist Olga Kern
- David Gordon — A Stroll Down Memory Lane
- Carmel Presbyterian Community Concert
- Violinist Ilya Kaler & pianist Alon Goldstein open Distinguished Artist Series
- Piano Music at the Steinway Piano Gallery in Coral Gables
- Refreshed: Pianist Jon Nakamatsu in Recital
- Pianist Chetan Tierra — Return of a Native Son
- Opera San Jose — Die Fledermaus
- Santa Cruz Symphony — Souvenir de Florence
List by Category
The Monterey Symphony will open its 74th season Ovation with The Roman Carnival by Hector Berlioz and Antonín Dvorák’s Romance for violin and orchestra, featuring concertmaster Christina Mok.This delightful, single-movement work was commissioned to serve as an annual musical tradition for the Provisional Theatre Orchestra in Prague. Based on a theme from the second movement of his fifth string quartet, Romance is a lovely interplay between the violinist and the orchestra. Other iterations of the melody were presented in his later works—it was an obvious favorite of Dvorák’s!
Hector Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique takes the mercurial, and often tragic, life of an artist and sets it to music. The title underlines not only the fantastic musical fireworks that take place on stage, but also a fantasy Berlioz was demonstrating. Written as an homage to unrequited love—the result of too many unanswered love letters—Berlioz uses the voices of the instruments to explain his emotions. The work travels through the artist’s life, culminating in his own funeral in the wildly intense final movement.
Concerts will be at 8:00 pm on Saturday evening, October 19, and 3:00 pm on Sunday, October 20 — both concerts will be in Sunset Center Theater.
One hour prior to the performance there will be a pre-concert lecture in the Hall of Sunset Center.
For tickets call (831) 646-8511.
At 3:00 pm on Sunday, October20, the Aptos Keyboard Series proudly presents highly acclaimed Ukrainian-American pianist Anna Dmytrenko in a recital at St John Episcopal Church, 125 Canterbury Drive, in Aptos.
Wagner-Liszt — Isolde’s Liebestod
Robert Schumann —Waldszenen, Op. 82
Nikolai Medtner — Sonata Tragica in C minor, Op. 39 no. 5
Sergei Rachmaninoff — Variations on a Theme of Corelli, Op. 42
Sergei Rachmaninoff — Preludes Op. 23, Nos. 1-5Read full story
At 7:30 pm on Sunday, October 26, Chamber Music Monterey Bay will be presenting the famed Juilliard String Quartet in a concert at Sunset Center in Carmel. The program will consist of Mozart’s String Quartet, K.458, Benjamin Britten’s String Quartet No. 3, and Brahms String Quartet Op. 51, No. 2 in A Minor.Read full story