- Monterey Symphony Concludes its 70th Anniversary Season
- Dave Dally conducting the MPC Orchestra with guest Soloists
- Pianist Jura Margulis in Recital at Hidden Valley
- Pianist Ruixue Zhang Ends the Aptos Keyboard Series Season
- Splendid Harmony and Invention: A Recital by Sergei Babayan
- Hartnell Community Choir at Church of the Wayfarer
- Finckel, Han & Setzer perform Beethoven Trios
- Santa Cruz Symphony — Ode to Joy
- Camerata Arts In Harmony Gala at Hidden Valley
- Beautiful America — Youth Music Monterey County puts on a Spectacular Concert
- Yeol Eum Son Recital for the Steinway Society, the Bay Area
- Etudes and Toccatas: Pianist Yeol Eum Son in Recital
List by Category
Daily Archives: November 14, 2010
The 2010 Paderewski Festival came to a triumphant end on Saturday evening as master pianist Jonathan Plowright came out on stage of the grand ballroom at the Paso Robles Inn to play a challenging and deeply satisfying program. This was a gala evening in every sense, since every seat was filled, (with several rows reserved for distinguished guests) and for any latecomers it was strictly standing room only. Festival Chairman Joel Peterson emphasized how special the Festival was this year for composers of Polish heritage. In 2010 we are celebrating the 150 anniversary of Paderewski’s birth and the 200th anniversary of Chopin’s. The Paderewski Festival is using this occasion to make all concerts in the 2010 Festival free to members of the public — a way of giving something back to the citizens of Paso Robles.
It was standing room only this afternoon in the Ballroom of the Paso Robles Inn as a distinguished audience gathered to hear a recital by the winners of the 2010 Paderewski Youth Competition. Festival President Joel Peterson greeted the guests, thanked them for their support of the Festival, and introduced several of the guests from Poland. On stage was a fine Steinway concert grand provided by Sherman Clay, thanks to the support of Sherman Clay representative David Dumont.
After the brief welcoming ceremonies we had an opportunity to hear the winners of the 2010 Youth Competition.
- First Place Winner in the Senior Division Jordan Adams, 15, from Monterey, a pupil of Lyn Bronson of Carmel, performed Paderewski’s Chant d’Amour and Chopin’s Polonaise in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 26, No. 1.
- Second Place Winner in the Senior Division Kevin Lin, 14, from Monterey, a pupil of Lyn Bronson of Carmel, performed Scriabin’s Etude in C-sharp Minor, Op. 2, No. 1, and “Montagues and Capulets” from Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet.
- Third Place Winner in the Senior Division Max Eisendrath, 17, from San Luis Obispo, a pupil of Dr. Botso Korisheli of Morro Bay, performed all three movements of Mozart’s Sonata in C Major, K.330.
- First Place Winner in the Junior Division Gianna Zufall, 13, a pupil of Hans Boepple of San Jose, performed the first movement of Beethoven’s Sonata in G Major, Op. 79.
- Second Place Winner in the Junior Division Madeline Anderson, 14, a pupil of Lyn Bronson of Carmel, performed Chopin’s Scherzo No. 3 in C-sharp Minor.
- Third Place Winner in the Junior Division Evan Lin, 13, a pupil of Alan Boehmer, performed Mendelssohn’s Scherzo in E Minor.
- Winner of an Honorable Mention in the Junior Division Daniel Ha, 10, , a resident of San Luis Obispo, performed Kabalevsky’s Etude in A Minor from Op. 27.